Why do this retrospective?
The Hot Air Balloon is a combined retrospective and futurespective. Use it to combine assessing past activities with looking forward to the future.
This helps a team think of their recent work as a part of the whole project, not just in isolation. The team think about how to improve based on their last sprint, but also look ahead to identify risks.
How to run this retrospective?
Time needed: 75-90 minutes
- Introduce and explain the template to the team.
- Ask the team to start thinking about the current sprint. What were 'sandbags' holding the team back, and what was 'hot air' driving the team forward?
- Ask the team members to write their ideas and place them in the sandbags or hot air sections (10 minutes)
- Group the items as a team and discuss them (10 minutes)
- Move on to repeat the steps for the future-looking part of the session. What storm clouds are coming up, and what sunny skies are ahead of us? (10 minutes).
- Group these items again and discuss (10 minutes).
- Now look at the combined past and future groups and see if there are any common groups you can make. (10 minutes).
- Hold a voting session to uncover the three most important themes (5 minutes).
- Brainstorm and discuss solutions and actions for the top themes (10 minutes).
- Group the solutions and hold a voting round (5 minutes).
- Decide an owner for each of the top three actions.
- Finish the retro or hold a closing activity.